Sunday, July 25, 2010

After Dark B, B, & B


So, thanks to a White Sox west coast trip, we got a chance to do some late night Beer, BBQ, and Baseball. The Sox are playing in Oakland and a 9pm start means I am grilling in the dark on a beautiful Friday night.

Beer: went with a variety pack I picked up in StL last weekend from a brewpub named Schlafly’s. The pack included their Pale Ale, their APA, and their Kӧlsch. I had tried some of the beer a couple of weekends before and fell in love with their Oatmeal Stout, so I thought I should try some others.

The Pale Ale: I’m not a big Pale Ale guy, but this wasn’t all that bad. The lady loves it, so I think I’ll let her drink the rest of it. Official Score: 7.3 out of 10.
The APA: My first question, what on earth is an APA? Turns out it stands for American Pale Ale. Oh, so like an IPA (India Pale Ale)? Yes. Actually, from what I can tell, it is the exact same as an IPA. In short, it’s just a hoppy Pale Ale. Do people in StL now have some kind of complex about mixing their beer with foreign countries? Either way, didn’t like this one so much. Official Score: 6.5 out of 10.
The Kӧlsch: This beer was fantastic. I wasn’t exactly sure what makes a beer a “Kӧlsch” so I looked it up. According to Wikipedia, it just means it’s a beer brewed in Cologne, Germany. Kind of like champagne is just a sparkling wine from a specific place. I’m starting to think the people at Schlafly are just naming beers whatever da f they want. Regardless, this is a good beer. Official Score: 8.7 out of 10.

BBQ: We went simple for our late start. Got two small steaks, two pre-prepared kabobs (beef, green pepper, red pepper, and onion), and a large onion. We cut up the onion, drizzled it in olive oil and covered it with salt, rosemary, thyme, and butter. We wrapped it in foil and threw it on the grill to cook for about an hour. You can and should cook it for longer, but an hour gets it done. We took the steaks and covered this with some of Weber’s Chicago Steak Seasoning. If you don’t own this seasoning, run out and get some. Right now! I love this stuff. It can make the cheapest steak taste fantastic. I even put in my eggs in the morning. That’s how good this stuff is. Everything turned out wonderful. Grilling in the dark was a success.

Baseball: On the one year anniversary of his perfect game, Mark Buehrle came out and threw a gem. Beuhrle went all 9, gave up only 4 hits, and allowed only 1 run. The Sox put up 5 for him and this game was O’va. In true Buehrle fashion this game only took 2 hours and 14 minutes. The man is a stud.

2 comments: